Mega Program / Project Director/ Development Director / PMO
29 years of success in leading mega-design engineering and construction programs
Highly skilled and Experienced in the Management and Facilitation of MEGA Portfolios of Major Capital Developments and high-value multi-disciplinary Programs and Projects. Providing end-to-end Concept to Completion direction and control through Program/Project Lifecycles, ensuring achievement of stakeholder expectation. Adept at establishing Program/Project Office (PMO) leveraging international best practices and lessons learned, P3O aligned to PMBoK, PRINCE2, MoR and MSP, building and mentoring professional teams of internal and external resources, implementing processes, protocols, procedures, and internal controls. Expert at adopting modern technologies and fully complying with international quality standards. Talent for relationship building and collaboration with key stakeholders, consultants, contractors and government entities/ministries, and a multi-cultural international workforce. An effective Trainer, Coach and Mentor with a track record in nurturing highly productive project teams.
Core Competencies and Expertise
Currently: Saudi Real Estate Company Al Akaria / Al Widyan Mega Project Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, PMO Director / Design Studio
Directing / Managing a multinational staff of over 100+ Engineers and design studio staff. Providing organizational structure as a subject matter expert on P3O Program Management.
Managing a Program portfolio, the largest being Al Widyan with in excess of 7 million square meters of land area and 8 million Square meters of built up area as a trusted consultant. Providing conceptual design, BOQ’s, MTR’s, and RFP’s for both Design Build and EPC construction. Setting up and implementing the latest Program management techniques and best practice, P3O, PMI, Prince II, MPMM and Center of Excellence. 80% all done in house. Complete Master Planned Mega Program! Sustainable Housing, Villas, Hotels, Schools, Universities, mosques, mixed use shopping and much much more!
UAE Military (PGC) Presidential Guard Command (Design / Construction & Asset Management) in association with Al Ain General Contracting Company LLC (ALGECO) Abu Dubai, UAE.
EXECUTIVE PROGRAM DIRECTOR PMO
Subject matter expert with the overall responsibility of setting up the programs/projects design development, construction (CAPEX) warranty and facility maintenance (OPEX) strategy and performance indicators.
Spearheading the full Program lifecycle of sophisticated MEGA Military Cities, training facilities, Air Fields, and firing ranges for the UAE Presidential Guard Command; Client Representative on behalf of UAE Government.
Key Contributions and Achievements:
- Reformed the delivery of government infrastructure projects by transforming government entities into efficient and effective management organizations.
- Hands on Management of all aspects of facilities design, construction and delivery of developed assets to achieve timely delivery of the developed assets completed major projects ahead of deadlines.
- Drafted and delivered SOW, MTR’s and facilitated tender of PMC’s for each project construction site with stringent contractual KPI’s.
- Produced and guided the full implementation of construction plans (PEP’s).
- Directed, Managed General Contractors and Consultants in the design of construction methodologies, systems and procedures resulting in optimal outcomes in time, cost and quality of work.
- Monitored and facilitated the final inspection of works (commissioning), checking for alignment with due diligence warranty and regulatory compliance.
ASHGHAL THE PUBLIC WORKS AUTHORITY, DOHA, QATAR
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT ADVISOR / TECHNICAL OFFICE MANAGER
Mega Program: High profile Infrastructure projects (utilities, roads, highways & bridges. Responsibilities included the implementation of a management strategy for a QAR 240bn ($66bn) capital investment program to develop national expressways, roads drainage. Wastewater facilities Infrastructure on behalf of the state of Qatar. Facilitating operations and providing executive reporting on the operations of the Authority’s major business units consisting of four directorates.
- Asset Affairs: Responsible for the maintenance and upgrade of all existing road way infrastructure / lighting and drainage networks across Qatar. Supervising the construction and maintenance of roads and sewage networks through approved contractors to improve road and drainage condition and connectivity.
- Buildings Affairs: Responsible for governing the design, construction and delivery of public buildings and amenities for several government entities. This includes schools, hospitals, parks and cultural centers. The department ensures the application of world-class designs, international codes and practices and quality management principles.
- Technical Support Affairs: Responsible for all the issues pertaining to the preparation and management of tender documents and all the tasks related to the Authority’s contracts.
- Shared Services Affairs: Consisting of key departments that provide operational and technical support and expertise on IT issues to the Authority.
MINISTRY of INTERIOR, KINGDOM of SAUDI ARABIA, RIYADH
DIRECTOR PMO, AGENCY FOR PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT
Provided executive-level leadership and guidance to over 21 PMOs and 300+ in house design engineers and multiple external consultants through the entire process of development and construction programs / projects that met and exceed The Ministries expectation.
- Provided expert guidance and leadership on program management to define the organizational structure and executive dashboard reporting for MEGA developments throughout the Kingdom.
- Established the Program Management Office (PMO) as “The Center of Excellence” within The Ministry.
- Managing at a high-level multiple stake holder throughout the Kingdom, ARAMCO. MODON, Royal Commission, Tatweer, Arriyadh Development Authority, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and others.
- Implemented Method 123 Project Management Methodology (MPMM) combining best practices of PMI PMBOK & PRINCE2 in all PMOs which resulted in a reduced cost of completion, increased efficiency in delivery, improved quality of deliverables and greater return on investments.
- Successfully managed and delivered a portfolio of mega development and mega infrastructure programs / projects with a cumulative value of SAR 80+B /$22+B that included mega medical cities, airports / rail / military airfields, hospitals, high rise, low rise buildings, hotels, border guard mega cities, military shooting ranges, urban combat training facilities, educational institutions, data centers (Tier II and III), communication facilities, internal security buildings, prisons, new iconic Headquarters building for MOI in Jeddah and rehabilitation of existing buildings/facilities, Mega Infrastructure, local roads and Major Expressway throughout the Kingdom.
- Provided development expertise, design review, technical construction direction, Site logistic development, assett management and executive dashboard reporting for The Jizan econimic MEGA city Mega Development divided into four distinct areas 1. Heavy Industries: Power Plant, Sea Port, Aluminum Smelter, Refinery and Dry Dock. 2. Secondary Industries: Silicon Processing, Tech / Agra tech Park, Textiles, Pharmaceuticals, Food Processing, Chemicals and Plastics, Secondary Manufacturing, Construction Materials and Metal Fabrication. 3 Human Capital: Commercial Business District, Education Area, Recreation and Sports Facilities, Convention and Exhibition Area, Civic Administration and a Grand Mosque. 4 Lifestyle: Hotels, Leisure resort Developments, Marina and Residences
- Applied value engineering in the design development and construction leading to significant cost savings in the millions.
- Drafted and produced BOQs, MTRs, RFPs for EOI’s and tender for EPC / EPCI / Design-Build
- Provided administrative financial (P&L), EVM, ROM costs, CAPEX, OPEX budgets.
- Mentored and promoted dozens of Saudi nationals within The Ministry.
BELGRAVIA DEVELOPMENT/BTA BANK, ALMATY, KAZAKHSTAN
OPERATIONS PROGRAM DIRECTOR DEVELOPMENTS
Spearheaded the full execution of the high-end Hotel, resort/leisure, residential, mixed-use MEGA developments and Banking Facilities with a budget in excess of $88.7B.
Provided client-side direction with bottom-line P&L accountability of sustainable urban planned MEGA infrastructure civil works and high-rise mixed-use MEGA City development sustainable housing projects in the UAE, Russia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Pakistan
- Successcfully negotiated several multi-million-dollar real estate contracts for the best outcome for the developer and BTA Bank.
- Created the first performance measurements, charts, statistics and graphs for most functions of the company.
- Wrote recommendations for a hazardous waste program that were adopted by the state of Kazakhstan.
- Led new market identification strategies prepared business plans, delivery and sales strategies to secure the new markets.
- Applied sound financial management process to achieve viability and full compliance with the approved budgets, delivered annual budget reports to the Board of Directors.
- Recruited, supervised and evaluated outsources consultants and specialist to ensure optimum delivery of quality project deliverables.
- Anticipated and planned for future business opportunities and prepare proposals for specific projects in urban infrastructure development, transportation, roads bridges & tunnels (TBM), energy, water utility management, stormwater drainage, data centers, marine facilities,
- Managed and controlled urban planned high-rise developments the tallest being 72 floors branded by JW Marriott, banks/financial centres, commercial offices (shell & core), 5 Star hotels, shopping malls, medical centres, cities & residences including all infrastructure, underground parking, access roads, tunnels, bridges, utilities & high-end fit-outs
- Implemented total quality management (TQM) and leveraged opportunities for continuous improvements
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE, IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN
MILITARY COMMANDER / DIRECTOR / TASK ORDER ADMINASTRATOR / PMO
Spearheaded the infrastructure / utility development process, starting from the project initiation to completion, coordinated activities of parties involved and oversaw execution of the projects / task orders in extremely adverse circumstances.
Solely responsible in country heading The Program Management Office (PMO) in Iraq/Afghanistan for all project operations and execution of Task Orders on behalf of The US Government for Iraqi Military and Ministry of Defense (MOD), value in excess of USD 200 + M per project (1.2B).
- Civil Infrastructure and associated utilities / Military Facilities / Hospitals / Air Bases / Airports / Boarder Protection and Marine Port Facilities.
- Provided feasibility studies for infrastructure as well as overseeing the design development of heavy civil construction and all key infrastructures.
- Rehabilitation of infrastructure utilities, lighting, existing military and governmental facilities as well as construction of new Infrastructure / facilities, WWTP, FOB’s and Air Bases.
- Responsible for program delivery team comprising area road and drainage engineers, commercial managers, project controls managers, schedulers and project coordinators.
- Managed the technical approval process to ensure that appropriate resources are mobilized and fully utilized.
- Directed a team of more than 200 staff at several major urban sites throughout Iraq and Afghanistan, the largest being less than two miles from the Iranian border with no military support, in an extremely volatile work environment, not for the faint of heart.
- Ordering and directing partial / complete demolition of existing facilities as part of value engineering, major infrastructure local roads / drainage, expressways, grading, civil utilities for incorporation of new infrastructure.
- Orchestrating and managing through staff of local national’s and expat’s FAST TRAC major civil construction.
- Provided professional project and civil construction management expertise to in country coalition forces, local Iraqi Municipalities and Iraqi Ministry of Defense for new infrastructure throughout Iraq and existing facilities in Arbil, Kirkuk, Bagdad, Basrah and Sulaymaniyah, Iraq, as well as U.S. Military facilities at Bagram Air Base and Kandahar in Afghanistan.
- Identified infrastructure for immediate repair and future development.
- Monitored and facilitated extremely fast track expressway / Hi way / Road Way infrastructure and lighting, project progression, scrutinized phases of work according to devised P6 schedules and diligently calibrated the allocation of all resources at my disposal to ensure the timely completion of project.
- Communicated project status and costs to financial entities having jurisdiction, periodically conducted surveys to verify workflow, quality of work and mitigated all relevant issues.
- Drafted scopes of work, contracts, and change / variation orders and mitigating claims for perceived extras outside scope of contacts / Task orders
A. JONES INTERNATIONAL CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA, USA
PROGRAM DIRECTOR / SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER / COMMISSIONING AUTHORITY / PMO
- Selected to spearhead Design Build United States Embassy / USAID construction worldwide.
- Management and Maintaining of Global Corporate Client Marriott Hotels.
- 1992 to 1996 Selected as the Engineer and later the Project Manager for the successful and profitable construction of Petronas Towers, twin skyscrapers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Until 2004 the tallest buildings in The World!
As Program Director:
- Technical expert seconded to the US Department of State for the Design Development, construction and successful turnover of US Embassy projects.
- Conducted design reviews from ground up In-situ Design Build low rise and high-rise construction, installation and performance testing as a technical integration systems expert (Commissioning Authority).
- Added value engineering in every aspect of the project and incorporated it into the design build process, in addition trained (craft) multinational personnel on construction projects worldwide.
- Ensured optimum operation of facilities according to contract documents at turn over and provided maintenance plans and program support throughout the warranty period.
As Senior Project Manager:
- Management and maintaining of a global corporate client Marriott Hotels, managing and facilitating to hospitality development and construction standards, guidelines and objectives developed other administrative processes such as critical path planning and effective budgeting, managed costs and schedules, ensure proper planning, design, and construction of assigned projects.
- Maintained cutting edge knowledge of Hospitality design and construction trends.
- Actively participated in the operation of the Hospitality Division resulting in sound financial performance, successful achievement of corporate goals and project budgets.
- Managed and direct third-party consultants in the necessary planning, architectural design, engineering, specifications and drawings, fabrication and other required pre-development and pre-construction activities for the construction of projects worldwide.
As Project Engineer / Chief Engineer:
- MEP / Civil Engineer, overseeing a variety of assignments carrying out the construction, remodeling, renovation, maintenance and upgrade of production / manufacturing facilities, civil infrastructure throughout the mid-west region of the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Performed as a senior team member on land acquisition, design of high end multi use shopping malls, office parks, hotels / leisure resorts and residential housing developments in partnership with local Municipalities.
- Managed subcontractors, vendors, and contractors in projects / assignments / tasks which were major in scope and complexity.
- Responsible for driving the execution of capital projects in support of multiple projects.
- Projects were mainly high class to include finish / fit outs for the leading brands in the Commercial (Banks, Financial, Retail Outlets), Hospitality and leisure, Hotel resorts and Restaurants.
- Prepared scopes of work, sub contracts, controlled cost, managed the design fit out, procurement and construction efforts, coordinating project commissioning and startup, and compiled final project documents for project close-out.