MEGA PROGRAM / PROJECT DIRECTOR / DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR - ENGINEERING & CONSTRUCTION
1999 Masters of Science Project Management, Glendale University Austin, Texas
1980 Bachelors of Science Civil Engineering, Northrop University Los Angles, California.
1976 Electrical Engineering / Power Generation, Army Corps of Engineers Fort Belvoir, Virginia
LEED Accredited Professional
PMI / PMP Accredited
P3O practitioner aligned to PRINCE2, PMI, MSP, and MoR
J. A. Jones laws of Management
J. A. Jones Senior Management Program
Numerous CM/PM seminars and continuing educational programs
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS:
(PE) Professional Engineer (USA), (PE) Saudi Council of Engineers, (PE) Armenia, NICET (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technology), NETA International Electrical Testing Association, LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), PMP (Project Management Professional (PMI), and NEBB (National Environmental Balancing Bureau)
BSI (British Standards Institute), ICC (International Code Council), RICS
(Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors), AEA (Army Engineers Association), NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), ACI (American Concrete Institute), AEA (American Engineering Association).
Accomplished and Performance driven industry professional backed by 26+ years of insightful experience in managing large MEGA portfolios of major capital development programs/projects, providing end-to-end direction & control through the program/project lifecycle assuring achievement of stakeholder expectations.
COUNTRIES LIVED, WORKED and DELIVERED IN:
USA, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Belize, Puerto Rico, Nicaragua, Germany, Belgium, Tanzania, Kenya, Ivory Coast, Kwajalein, Jamaica, Haiti, Croatia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russia, Bulgaria, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Greece, China and Pakistan.
UAE Presidential Guard Command (Military)
Abu Dubai (June 2016 to Present)
EXECUTIVE PROGRAM DIRECTOR PMO:
• Setting forth a Development Strategy and Performance indicators as a Military subject matter expert:
• Client Representative on behalf of the UAE Government
• Overseeing a Development Program Lifecycle of sophisticated MEGA Military Cities / training facilities / Air Fields / firing ranges for the UAE Presidential Guard Command.
• These training facilities are state of the art and include live fire shooting ranges as well as simulated fire.
• Responsible in leading the construction and delivery of the developed assets and ensure timely delivery of developed assets.
• Setting up and facilitating a network of PMCs (incl. supervision consultants and on-site contractors) for each construction site / asset development
• Ensuring the execution of construction plans and supporting the design of mitigation strategies to guarantee timely delivery according to agreed quality as per contractual documents and set KPI’s
• Working collaboratively with General Contractors and Consultants to generate successful construction methodologies, systems, procedures that lead to optimal outcomes in time, cost and quality of built work
• Leading and participate in the monitoring of the final inspection and commissioning of works
MINISTRY of INTERIOR KINGDOM of SAUDI ARABIA:
Riyadh (November 2012 to May 2016)
• Reporting to The Minister of Interior and others. Lead 21 PMOs with a staff of 300+ engineers in managing development, construction programs & projects delivering best interests from the owner/client perspective
• Contribute as a subject matter expert on program management in defining organizational structure and recruiting of internal & external consultants
• Provide conceptual designs, BOQs, MTRs, RFPs for both PMOs and design build construction
• Manage administration, finance, design and technical matters
• Direct functioning of various departments ensuring quality of output and deliverables
• Maintain strict confidentiality in dealing with highly confident and top secret government documents
• Managing a portfolio of mega development infrastructure projects – medical cities, hospitals, high rise buildings, hotels, border guard facilities, military shooting ranges, urban combat training facilities, hotels, educational institutions, data centers, communication facilities, internal security buildings and new iconic Headquarters building for MOI in Jeddah as well as rehabilitation of existing buildings. Cumulative value of the portfolio: SAR 80+ billion (USD 22+ billion)
• Established a single permanent office as a Center of Excellence in the Ministry of Interior.
• Jizan (Mega City Development) economic city high end hospitality, residential, industrial and mixed use developments Airport construction and rehabilitation King Khalid International Airport Riyadh, Jeddah and others for Military use and various other developments.
• Set up & implemented a P3O program management system aligned to PRINCE2, MSP and management of risk (M_o_R) with comprehensive set of principles, processes, best practices and techniques. The Portfolio Program & Project Office (P3O) objective is to provide a universally applicable framework for developing, implementing and maintaining required support structures facilitating informed senior management decision making on strategic alignment, prioritization, risk management & optimization of resources. This enables achievement of program objectives within time, cost and quality constraints
• Implemented Method 123 Project Management Methodology (MPMM) combining best practices of PMI PMBOK & PRINCE2 in all PMOs in KSA leading to reduction in cost of completion, faster creation of deliverables, increased efficiency in delivery, improved quality of deliverables and greater return on investments
BELGRAVIA Development: Head Quarters Almaty, Kazakhstan
(August 2007 to October 2012) Developer/Contractor
General / Operations Program Director Developments
• Provided client side direction with high degree of P&L accountability to a high end hospitality, residential and mixed use MEGA development. Program portfolio exceeding USD 88.7 billion comprising of sustainable urban planned MEGA infrastructure civil works and high rise mixed use MEGA City development projects in the UAE, Russia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Pakistan
• Provided assistance in business planning and related strategies for relevant markets, identified target markets and assisted in setting sales / delivery strategy.
• Out sourced controlled, monitored & evaluated external consultants/specialists as needed.
• Prepared & submitted annual operational budgets to the Board of Directors and ensured compliance with approved budgets. Ensured financial viability of mega projects/service units through sound financial management
• Identified future business opportunities and prepared proposals for specific projects in urban infrastructure development, transportation, roads bridges & tunnels (TBM), energy, water utility management, storm water drainage, border protection, data centers, marine facilities, military compounds/facilities, hospitals, secure facilities, communication, utilities, solid waste management, earth monitoring & measurement works
• Monitored & controlled works related to urban planned high rise developments +72 like banks/financial centers, commercial offices (shell & core), hotels, shopping malls, medical centers, cities & residences including all infrastructure, underground parking, access roads, tunnels, bridges, utilities & high end fit-outs
• Implemented total quality management (TQM) and leveraged opportunities for continuous improvements
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE (Iraq, Afghanistan)
(July 2005 to August 2007)
Military Commander Colonel (06) Program Management Office, Iraq
Contract Task Administrator
• Independently directed & controlled the Program Management Office (PMO) in Iraq on behalf of US Government Department of Defense (DOD), AFCEE (US Air Force) and US Army Corps of Engineers
• Managed all project operations and execution of contracts on lump sum & cost plus reimbursable basis and task orders for Iraqi Military and Iraqi Ministry of Defense
• Ordered and directed complete/partial demolition of existing facilities including civil utilities, highways / expressways, walkways, drainage, entry drives & parking and site grading for construction of new infrastructure
• Directed 200+ staff in executing projects at various major urban sites in Iraq & Afghanistan with no military support in extremely volatile environments calling for steely will & resolve. The largest site was less than 2 km from the Iranian border
• Executed projects/task orders with individual value of USD 200+ million with a cumulative value of USD 1.2 billion. Key projects included new infrastructure construction across Iraq and rehabilitation of existing facilities at Erbil, Kirkuk, Bagdad, Basra & Sulaymaniyah Iraq & US Military facilities in Bagram & Kandahar in Afghanistan
• Construction and rehabilitation of Air Bases, Air Fields and Airports Kirkuk, Basra Erbil and others
• Provided professional project & construction management expertise to in country coalition forces, Iraqi municipalities and Iraqi MOD
• Enhanced risk & threat analysis competence of DOD team in Iraq for risk assessment of public infrastructure and government buildings
• Member of the ACMA delegation to Beijing & Shanghai in China to share knowledge on contract management
• Lead member of a 16 member DOD task force that analyzed existing Iraqi procurement processes & procedures and recommended required amendments
• Deputed as a member of the American Bar Association legal delegation to Vietnam & Cambodia to advise their governments in legislation complying with World Trade Organization membership requirements
• Awarded the Iraq Campaign Medal
J. A. JONES INTERNATIONAL / LOCKWOOD & GREENE / FLUOR
(September 1984 to June 2005) Contractor / PM/CM / Designer / Consultancy
Program Director / Project & Construction Management Consultant / Technical Commissioning Authority / O&M Expert/ Senior Project Manager / Construction Manager
• Represented the United States Department of State in the development of US Embassy projects across the world including UAE, Phnom Penh Cambodia, Quito Ecuador, Managua Nicaragua and Beijing China
• Managed a peak portfolio of just under USD 1 billion with a staff of 240 and total workforce of 3000
• Conducted development design reviews of all hard infrastructure/utilities, determined existing & future traffic loads, existing infrastructure capacity and estimated current and future standards of service.
• Executed preliminary surveys, collected information from existing aerial photos, maps, GIS & plans, identified possible conflicts with other assets or topographical features and evaluated impact on human and natural environment
• Directed ground up in-situ construction of structures up to +60 stories’ high, verified construction & high end fit-out and as commissioning authority oversaw installation and performance testing of technical integration systems
• Trained multinational teams on various crafts on construction projects worldwide
• Coordinated turnover to designated US State Department officials and provided maintenance plans and program support during the warranty period ensuring optimum operation of the facilities according to contract documents
• Assured successful build & operation of several projects by identifying and resolving potential problems and collaborated for successful financial progression of projects
• Independently managed construction contracts, engineering administration, materials control & logistics, project costs & scheduling, change order preparation, negotiation and settlement and risk mitigation
• Led a team of 90 and work force of 1200 in executing projects with a total portfolio value of USD 850 million; projects included Transportation infrastructure, Mass transit systems, Railways, Canals & navigable waterways, Seaports and light houses, Airports and Facilities for cyclists & pedestrians
United State Army Rangers,
Korea/Thailand/El Salvador/Africa: Combat Engineer: Aug 1973 to Sep 1996
Updated July 2018